SO hey guys. This last 2 years have been crazy. I have had 2 daughters, needed major neck surgery that I am still waiting for a date on, I bought a house, etc. I apologize for slacking on this blog, which is something I promised myself I would never do. Life had other plans. I am hoping at this point to be able to pick back up where we were and move on.
I Know What You Did 5 Minutes Ago is a comedy routine by a man named Tom Scott based on the privacy settings people have (or lack thereof to be more exact) on their social networking sites. You would be amazed at the information people make public: phone numbers, check-ins at their own home, whether they are currently home or not, mother’s maiden name, how much they hate their boss, etc.
This video was the inspiration for 18 year old Callum Haywood to start a website called We Know What You Are Doing, that queries Facebook’s Graph API and outputs the results. The raw JSON output can be found here.
The lesson to be learned is simply know your own privacy settings. Make sure everything is set to what you want. Don’t make everything public.
- We Know What You’re Doing: Website exposes Facebook stupidity (digitaltrends.com)
- This Site Shows Interesting Results From Facebook & Foursquare (valuewalk.com)
- Why You Shouldn’t Post Facebook Statuses About Your Hangover Or Hating Your Boss (huffingtonpost.com)
- Site shows Facebook updates your boss shouldn’t see (cnn.com)
- New site shows incriminating FB updates (kshb.com)
- New Website Tells All: Be Careful What You Post Online (fox8.com)
- Could Facebook posts cause you trouble? (abc15.com)
- Clever New Site Republishes Facebook Updates About Drugs, Phone Numbers and Bosses (betabeat.com)
- This site knows exactly what you’re doing, thanks to public Facebook and Foursquare data (thenextweb.com)
- Creepy website claims ‘we know what you’re doing’ (cbc.ca)
The Freeconomy Community’s aim is to help reconnect people in their local communities through the simple act of sharing.
When an infant is unable to breastfeed effectively, and his mother needs to stimulate the breasts and express milk with a breast pump, building and maintaining an adequate supply can be a challenge. This video demonstrates some ways that pumping mothers can increase production without medication.
A video by Jane Morton, M.D.
The American Geophysical Union, the leading climate science organization, is due to launch a new web service offering journalists accurate scientific information about climate change. The AGU is also working on an iPhone app.
Those involved deny a political agenda. The web service will address scientific questions only.
“Our goal is not to become partisan. But if we are going to respond to denialists’ claims which are unfounded in science then perhaps we are going to be viewed as going toe-to-toe with critics,” said John Abraham of St. Thomas University of Minnesota.
It is intended to run for 3 months using appx. 700 volunteers.
Progress for climate change took a hard hit during these elections and the science and politics are bound to intertwine.
A majority of the Republican newcomers deny the existence of man-made climate change or oppose regulation of greenhouse gas emissions, according to an analysis by Think Progress.
- Scientists have a duty to engage with the public on climate change | John Abraham (guardian.co.uk)
- Inaccurate news reports misrepresent a climate-science initiative of the American Geophysical Union (prweb.com)
- US scientists unite against climate sceptics (guardian.co.uk)
- Big Confusion on Climate Science Communication vs. Activism | The Intersection (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- A Climate Science Headache (motherjones.com)
- 700 Scientists Fight Back Against Climate Change Denying Politicians (treehugger.com)
- Two New Climate Science Outreach Efforts On Tap (news.sciencemag.org)
- Climate Scientists To Fight Back Against Republican Climate-Change Deniers (crooksandliars.com)
1. Cottonseed is planted from early February to mid-May and the matured fluffy, white bolls are harvested from September through December
4. Yarns are combined to form a continuous “rope” and many ropes are fed into multiple indigo dyeing baths.
6. Large rolls of finished denim fabric are shipped to the garment manufacturer and assorted denim garments are created for sale at retail. When ready to add the newest denim styles to a wardrobe, old denim can be recycled and put to good use.
9. The reprocessed fiber is treated with a borate solution for fire retardency and mold/mildew resistance. Borate has a lower toxicity than table salt, making it safe for people and their environment. The manufacturing process for creating UltraTouch™ Natural Cotton Fiber Insulation is now underway.
Many colleges and universities have decided to cooperate with Cotton From Blue To Green by having donation events. My school, SUNY ESF, will be hosting such an event on October 29th. This will take place on the quad and is called “Drop Your Jeans”. They will be taking donations and snapping photos of you “dropping your jeans” so you can share them on Facebook!!!
- Recycled Denim Insulation Nonprofit Grant Offered by Levi Strauss (green-talk.com)
- Gap Revives Denim-to-Insulation Program (fastcompany.com)
- Carhartt Donates 6,000 Pair of Jeans to the University of Kentucky MAT Club for Their COTTON. FROM BLUE TO GREEN . Denim Drive (prnewswire.com)
- GAP – Recycle your Blues (go-green.ae)
- The Gap helps you put old blue jeans to good green use (mnn.com)
- Gap Invites You to ‘Recycle Your Blues’ to Support Cotton Incorporated’s ‘COTTON. FROM BLUE TO GREEN. ‘ Denim Drive (prnewswire.com)
- “Recycle Your Blues- Gap x Cotton Inc” and related posts (thelipstickdiaries.com)
- Recycle Old Jeans for a Good Cause (doyourpart.com)
On Monday October 18th, two 2010 models for Green Car of the Year will take off for a 1,000 mile tour along the length of California!
They are both 2010 Audi A3 TDI models. They will be running on the bio diesel called RenDiesel produced by Rentech. These cars get 42 mpg on the highway.
“When compared to traditional petroleum-derived low sulfur diesel, tailpipe emissions from RenDiesel generate lower amounts of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, particulate matter, nitrogen oxides (NOX), sulfur oxides (SOX) and carbon dioxide. Also, when compared to traditional diesel fuels, RenDiesel has a higher hydrogen content, heating value and cetane index, making it very energy efficient. RenDiesel also has excellent storage stability making it an ideal fuel for back-up power generators.”
–above from rentechinc.com
There will then be a panel discussion at Petersen Automotive Museum in L.A. A group of people from RenTech, Audi, the Argonne National Laboratory, and Green Car Journal will be discussing the future of bio diesel.
- Driving for a Low-Carbon Future? (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Rentech’s synthetic diesel fueling A3 TDI road trip (reviews.cnet.com)
- Newsweek: Are diesel hybrids the next green cars? (newsweek.com)
- Huhne courts union backing for low-carbon transition (businessgreen.com)
- Innovative electric vehicle will teach students about renewable technology (thisisnottingham.co.uk)
Challenging Quantum physics theories and how they affect how we perceive the world anciently and today, both religiously and scientifically .
Director and Producer Braden Barty seeks to unravel the mystery of who we are and why we are here.
From the website Spirit Space Movie:
“Spirit Space is the resultsof the works of Science and Spiritual pioneers of the 20th and 21st century. Extraordinary thinkers who decided to break away and follow their own paths. It would be these paths that have set forth the concepts, ideas, and discoveries that bring us back a full circle to the true nature of human existence.”
- Quantum Theory Review (1up.com)
- Blog – Alice, Bob and Carla: Quantum Love Triangle Revealed (technologyreview.com)
- C.S. Lewis vs. Stephen Hawking (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- The Quantum Mystics (math-blog.com)
- What Happens After Death: Multi-verses, Quantum Realities and The Such (socyberty.com)
- Two-Photon Walk a Giant Leap For Quantum Computing (hardware.slashdot.org)
- How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your UK Dog [Uncertain Principles] (scienceblogs.com)
You can sign the petition —-> HERE
People raise and breed tigers under the guise of them being pets. The tigers are sold to whoever wants them for whatever reason. They suffer medically sometimes as this is not the primary concern of the person raising the tigers. They sometimes live in the most horrible conditions.
There are many places that masquerade as “Tiger Sanctuaries” to who do the same.