Randy Paynter, CEO and President of C2, started this site in 1998.
The idea is simple: Make it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle and impact the causes they care about most.
When he was 13 he was traveling with his father up the Amazon in a thatch-covered boat. His father was an ornithologist (study of birds).
“What struck me most was the contrast between the remote tribes living in harmony with the rainforest, and the poverty and deforestation in the most “modernized” towns we visited”, said Paynter on the About Us page of the site. He saw that the world was terribly out of balance and began to believe that we each have the power to make positive changes in our world.
“The answer came in 1998. The Internet. Finally, the power to mobilize the world was at hand. I raised money from some kind and crazy souls, and then really lucked out in finding two extraordinary partners — Matt McGlynn (now our chief technology officer) and Camilla Eriksson (now our vice president of eCards. In September 1998, we launched Care2 from my tiny apartment” Paynter writes.
The website is driven by those who wish to make changes in this world. They are a certified B Corporation.
The butterflies on the logo are designed after a Physics concept called “The Butterfly Effect“. It symbolizes to them that one person can take a small step and make a difference.
You can earn butterfly credits by taking various actions like signing a petition and taking the daily action. These credits can be redeemed for gifts that make the world a better place.
There is an online community and plenty of fun topics and polls. you can create groups or join existing ones.
There are so many petitions you can sign on a wide array of topics and issues that you may support. There is a daily action that you can do and earn credits for.
There is also a whole section on Healthy and Green Living.
I have been signed up for emails through this site for some time now. Some of my other blogs are based on these emails about petitions available tailored to the issues I am concerned with at the moment. I have always had a good experience with this Organization. Enjoy, and help by taking your own little steps…we can make a difference!
- Educating About Living and Working Green: Get Them While They Are Young (livinggreenandsavingenergy.com)
- Living Green and Healthy: 5 Health Benefits from Going Green (livinggreenandsavingenergy.com)
- Harder To Be Green in Smaller Living Spaces? (tinychoices.com)
- A Glimpse of Green Cities of the Future: Masdar is the Model (livinggreenandsavingenergy.com)
- Biofuels: Top 10 Predictions for 2011 (livinggreenandsavingenergy.com)
- Survey Sheds Light On Green Behaviors (doyourpart.com)
- Care2: The Social Network Most Green Businesses Miss (greensmithconsulting.com)
- Care2 Christmas eCards (brighthub.com)
- China Bans Animal Circuses; Warns the Zoos to Stop Abuse Against Animals (greenpacks.org)
- Parsing the new ‘humane’ food labels (grist.org)
- Help Fight a Canadian-Owned Mine in Guatemala! (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Nebraska Takes Lead in State Anti-Animal Welfare Legislation (rtfitch.wordpress.com)