“I’ve worked with bats over 45 years and never have I seen, or even known about, any kind of mortality rate comparable to what we’ve seen,” says Thomas Kuntz, a biology professor at Boston University. He is one of the few bat specialists in America.
The disease is called white-nose syndrome. It started, presumably, in a small cave in upstate NY called Howe Caverns; a popular tourist attraction outside of Albany. In 2006 a caver reported many bats displaying white growth on their nose and wings. These bats were noticeably weaker than the non-infected bats. They came out of hibernation earlier and died off more rapidly from starvation or over-exposure.
In the last 4 years this disease has spread through the Northeast killing more than a million bats. This last year new outbreaks have been reported as far as Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Missouri. Already affected areas include upstate NY, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Canada was affected in 2009 in Quebec and Ontario The ecological impact this will create, or has created is not totally known.
When a cave is infected more than 75% will likely be wiped out during the first winter hibernation and after the next winter 90% of the original colony will have either died or contracted the disease.
One senior US wildlife official has gone so far as to describe the massacre as “the most precipitous decline of North American wildlife caused by infectious disease in recorded history”.
“One of the biggest problems we’re facing is that we don’t really know much about bats or this fungus,” says Hazel Barton, a British born professor of microbiology at the University of Kentucky whose team are concentrating on studying the fungus behind the deaths.
When I took a class at SUNY ESF called Mammal Diversity taught by Professor Mark V. Lomolino, I remember learning that bats huddle closely in hibernation to become like one large body. Professor Lomolino teaches a variety of classes at the College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse, NY. He has a special place in his heart, however, for bats. I am currently waiting for his comment and this article will be updated as needed.
In most species of bat, individuals will frequently arise from torpor about once every 12-20 days. It has been observed that the infected bats will wake up 2-3 times as much.
“In heterothermic bats one or more Thermoregulation)” and the brain remain sensitive at low temperatures and initiate the necessary heat production for arousal. Heat is generated by the metabolism of fat and by shivering. (Encyclopedia Britannica,
“Every time they arouse it’s an enormous drain on their energy levels,” says Dr Kunz. They need to raise their body temperature every time they wake. The bats with white-nose syndrome wake severely undernourished. They head towards the mouth of the cave to find insects. Some don’t make it out and others die of exposure in a few hours.
If America’s bats die out there will be an huge issue in the farming industry related to insects. Bats eat more than half their weight of insects every night. The University of Boston, using a test study compiled over eight counties in Texas, believes the US farming industry will go from spending $1bn (£630m) a year on pesticides to $9bn.
The fight has partially moved to preventing the spread into the West Coast. The Great Plains and the Rockies act as sort of a natural barrier. Few species from places like Tennessee end up in California, Washington, or Oregon: boasting some of the largest bat populations in the country.
The biggest fear: HUMAN TRANSMISSION!!
This is what happened to Hellbender populations and other amphibians as humans aided the
spread of chytrid fungus, a skin-disease.
It is thought that the white-nose fungus may have breen brought by someone from Europe. It then either mutated into a pathogen or already was one for bats that did not have the required immunity.
“A number of bats in Germany, Hungary and Switzerland have recently been found to carry the white-nose fungus but are not affected by it suggesting that Europe’s bat population has already experienced a mass fatality and become resistant. (CommonDreams.org)”
All it would take is for a careless caver to carry this disease over to the West Coast!
- Bat disease threatens ecological catastrophe (independent.co.uk)
- Do we know what causes the white nose syndrome? (greenanswers.com)
- Bat Disease Threatens to Close America’s Caves (wired.com)
- Racing to Save Bats From Catastrophic Exctinction, Biologists Turn to New Tools (popsci.com)
- NJPP Monday Minute 10/25/10: This is the time to go a little “batty” (middletownmike.blogspot.com)
- Unprecedented Bat Die-Off Could Devastate U.S. Agriculture (dailyfinance.com)
- Mysterious Plague Killing Off Bats (abcnews.go.com)
- Mysterious Bat-Killing Disease Appears Harmless in Europe (livescience.com)
- Little Brown Bat Extinction Predicted (animals.change.org)
- White Nose Syndrome: Scientists Find Drugs That May Fight Fungal Bat Disease (huffingtonpost.com)
As Costco grows bigger, so does their footprint on the environment.
Download the Activist Toolkit, it is a .pdf file.
“Just as our work has encouraged and illuminated progressive seafood retailers around the country, it has also exposed a group of laggards that continue to sell unsustainable seafood with impunity. These companies have yet to take any meaningful action to address the rampant environmental destruction caused by their seafood purchasing behavior. Within this category, one company in particular is wreaking havoc in our oceans on an unparalleled scale: Costco.”
“In any Costco warehouse you’ll find shelves and shelves full of red list seafood. Greenpeace surveys found that Costco continues to sell fifteen of the twenty-two red list species: Alaskan pollock, Atlantic cod, Atlantic salmon, Atlantic sea scallops, Chilean sea bass, grouper, monkfish, ocean quahog, orange roughy, red snapper, redfish, South Atlantic albacore tuna, swordfish, tropical shrimp, and yellowfin tuna.”
Included in the toolkit are colored cards that can be copied and handed out with information and some flyers and a lot f information.
What is “sustainable” seafood?
Sustainable fisheries and aquaculture operations are those which can be maintained indefinitely without reducing the targeted species’ ability to maintain its population at healthy levels, and without adversely impacting on other species within the ecosystem — including humans — by removing their food source, accidentally killing them, or damaging their physical environment.
- Costco Adopts Sustainable Seafood Policy (planetsave.com)
- Whole Foods Fishes for Goodwill (fool.com)
- Endangered Fish In Aisle 5 (food.change.org)
- Costco’s Climbing Profits (forbes.com)
- Costco Comparable Sales Rose 7% in August (dailyfinance.com)
- Metro markets to halt sale of endangered fish (cbc.ca)
- Whole Foods Debuts Sustainability Rating for Wild-Caught Seafood (environmentalleader.com)
“A new investigative report from Greenpeace, ‘How Sinar Mas is Pulping the Planet’, shows how major brands like Walmart, Auchan and Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) are fueling climate change and pushing Sumatran tigers and orang-utans towards the brink of extinction.”
Asia Pulp and Paper (or APP) is part of the Sinar Mas group. The companies listed above are using or selling paper from APP. Indonesia‘s rainforests are being destroyed along with their carbon rich peat fields.
“The Bukit Tigapuluh Forest Landscape is one of the last refuges for endangered Sumatran tigers and orang-utans.
Several leading companies have already responded to Greenpeace evidence of the Sinar Mas group’s illegal and destructive environmental practices in Indonesia and are cancelling their contracts with the Indonesian palm oil and paper giant. Greenpeace is calling on the rest to follow suit.”
SIGN THE PETITION–(‘t have a direct link because they personalize it when it is sent in an email.)
HERE is a complete list of Greenpeace’s online actions
There is controversy, I have listed a few articles below on the other side of the issue.
- Greenpeace response to Sinar Mas ‘verification exercise’ (yubanet.com)
- Environmental Organizations to urge CANFOR to not sell Howe Sound Pulp and Paper SINAR MAS (whattheythink.com)
- Sinar Mas Says Greenpeace Claims ‘Largely Unfounded’ (businessweek.com)
- Sinar Mas Cleared in Report of Rainforest Harm Claims (businessweek.com)
- Sinar Mas Says Greenpeace Deforestation Allegations ‘Unfounded’ (businessweek.com)
- Asian Pulp & Paper drafts in Cohn & Wolfe to fight Greenpeace accusations (prweek.com)
- Burger King drops controversial palm oil supplier (businessgreen.com)
- Burger King Drops Greasy Palm Oil Supplier (triplepundit.com)
- After Greenpeace Action, Burger King Stops Greasing Palms With Sinar Mas (fastcompany.com)
- The Sinar Mas Palm Oil saga continues (fabianpattberg.com)
- Burger King Lets Activists Have It Their Way (environment.change.org)
- Sinar Mas faces fresh strife after spinning palm oil report (businessgreen.com)
I did not have as much time as I would have liked to write on this, but I wanted to get it out there. I thank a guy I knew from Corning, NY for posting something on facebook. Leave comments on this!!!
- IMF power deal sealed after US dropped trade links (reuters.com)
- You: What to expect from IMF’s next meeting? (nation.com.pk)
- Breakthrough agreement on IMF reform (topinews.com)
- IMF names Portuguese economist to head European Dept (reuters.com)
- “Ethics and the International Monetary Fund” and related posts (glennbeckchannel.blogspot.com)
- Q+A-What to expect from IMF’s next meeting in Pakistan (reuters.com)
- G20 Agrees To “Biggest Reform Ever” Of IMF, And Promises To End The Currency War (businessinsider.com)
- G20 reaches deal on reform of IMF (ft.com)
The next Global Prayer will be on October 26th, 8-9 pm Eastern/US. On the site they give information on different time zones.
From the site:
This week’s prayer visualization
On November 2, we’ll see one of the most important mid-term elections in US history. Let’s focus our prayer on increasing the honesty, integrity and wisdom by those participating in this election. We’ll visualize and affirm that voters can cut through the ideological distortions on both sides to vote for the person who they think can operate in Washington with the most integrity and effectiveness. Join us as we lend our energy to uplifting all those who have to make these difficult decisions in this key election.
Call 646/519-5860 OR 212/461-5860
Caller ID: 6999#
The phone line will open at 7:55pm EDT. Call the number above and enter the Caller ID. Once connected, please say your name and location, then press *6 to mute yourself so the noise level will be kept to a minimum. Each participant will be responsible for their own long-distance phone charges.
Our twice-monthly gatherings have been making a powerful difference, both in people’s individual lives and the world at large. Many of you have written us saying that the energy generated from this network of spiritually-minded participants is “indescribable,” and we look forward to continuing this healing circle of focused prayer. Like all prayer experience devoted to helping others, many participants have felt the results in their own bodies and received guidance for their own lives.
Research tells us that the more people praying together, the more powerful the prayer and the greater the level of energy felt by the participants. We invite you to join the largest regular prayer network in the world. If you would like to take an active role in maintaining a circle of positive intention across the globe, while going deeper and heightening your own spirituality, join us on Tuesday, October 26.
Let’s see how large we can grow, and how much difference we can make…
- Help assemble the world’s largest collection of “Jerry Maguire” tapes (timeoutny.com)
- The Practices of Prayer: A Meditation on the Readings for the 29th Sunday of the Year (adw.org)
- Prayer and Meditation (socyberty.com)
Welcome to Life Without Plastic – shop for the best plastic alternatives – environmental and eco-friendly shop – plastic free products – non plastic products – water dispenser, bottle, food container, lunch boxes, baby dishes, tumblers, plates, water storage – stainless steel – wood – glass – Canada and United States.
- Green Your Kitchen: Eco-Friendly Cookware (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Life Without Plastic. Products that Inspire a Plastic Free Life. (green-talk.com)
- Eco-friendly floating diner set for marinas worldwide (cnn.com)
- Eco Canteen Stainless Steel 26 Ounce Water Bottle – 2 Pack (woot.com)
I’m not sure how many restaurants are actually participating at this point, but I often think about that when I’m eating out or ordering for delivery. Most times, I don’t need the plastic knife, fork, and spoon or the 30 packets of soy or duck sauce! More ketchup packets probably get thrown away than opened and used in a day at any fast food chain! Also, I love when you tell them you don’t need a bag but they have already ripped one of and then they shove it in the garbage!!!
- 3 Ways to Reduce Takeout Waste (earth911.com)
- 8 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home (mindfulmomma.typepad.com)
- Challenge to reduce student lunch waste (say no to Kraft Lunchables?!) (life.nationalpost.com)
- The Starbucks Cup Dilemma (fastcompany.com)
Nominate a company for being the dirtiest opponent of clean energy.
From the website:
“From Deepwater Oil to Upper Big Branch, 2010 has been a year of environmental disasters. But the big oil and coal companies aren’t backing down. Shadowy front groups funded by fossil fuel companies and their allies are spending tens of millions of dollars to flood the airwaves with advertising to mislead the public about our overreliance on fossil fuels.
Repower America has had enough, so we’re going to expose the polluters and for exactly what they are: Snake Oil Salesmen. On November 9, we’re giving out the first annual Snake Oil Awards — and we need your help to decide who is the worst of the worst.
First, we need you to help us pick the top four nominees – think BP, Koch Industries, Massey Energy, and other dirty polluters. Then, on November 1, we’ll present the nominees to our members for a week of voting.”